The Associate Director Discovery Science, reporting to the Head of Discovery Science, will participate in the development of the AAV capsid improvement strategy and will be responsible for its operational execution to deliver improved AAV vectors, including chemically-conjugated AAVs (coAAVs), for Coave Therapeutics’ indications of interest in the neurologic and ophthalmologic spaces. This position will be based at Coave Therapeutics’ Lab in the Institut du Cerveau et de la Moelle (ICM) in Paris, France. Set in a dynamic environment, it will include the management and mentoring of a team of Research Engineers and Scientists.
- Design, develop, and characterize the mechanism of action and activity of novel AAVs to identify candidate vectors for translational programs.
- Overlook and manage all company’s internal research projects, including timelines and budget.
- Provide scientific oversight in the design and execution of experiments and supervise the day-to-day laboratory activities of Research Engineers and Scientists
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of scientific advances related to AAV engineering and vector technologies.
- Analyze scientific data and prepare reports for senior leadership; write or review study protocols, study reports, and SOPs.
- Contribute to technical discussions and investigations within cross-disciplinary program and project teams.
- Support due diligence, prepare summaries and presentations, and promote Coave Therapeutics through presentations at key scientific meetings.
- Ensure the compliance of laboratory records and the appropriate training of the lab team to meet local and European ethic, regulatory, and safety standards.
- Participate in efforts to identify, develop and maintain relationships with key opinion leaders, funding agencies and organizations, collaborating laboratories, and CROs.
Required Education & Experience
- PhD in Molecular and/or Cell Biology, Biochemistry, or other relevant discipline, with at least 10 years of experience in AAV biology and/or gene therapy.
- Strong experience managing a laboratory and mentoring Research Engineers and Scientists
- Proven expertise in molecular biology and in vivo animal studies focused on the central nervous system and/or the eye.
- Knowledge of AAV biology, chemical conjugation, expression vector design, NGS, RNA interference, gene editing, RNAScope, live and/or microscopy imaging techniques, diverse cell and tissue culture modalities, or ELISA would be a plus.
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Ability to develop innovative AAV products, with a primary focus in Neurology and Ophthalmology
- Ability to independently integrate and develop research programs including designing, planning, conducting, and troubleshooting experiments
- Proven ability to hire & integrate new talent, and to manage employee performance and development in accordance with the company’s core values.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and ideally, French.
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized and ability to multitask in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, GraphPad/Prism, SnapGene or other softwares for molecular biology